Sunday, May 6, 2012

A little bit of back story:


Here’s the skinny; several years ago I wrote a book called “The Fifth Pillar” (which is now out of print) and through that experience came to know the man and wife team, Donald and Karen respectively, which are the company Partner Publishing. Donald liked my writing style, okay let’s be honest, he thought the story was about nothing but liked the book because he loved the dialogue. Seinfeld isn’t the only one that can make entire stories about nothing entertaining.

Fast forward a few years and Donald has launched a company called Ucreate Media, www.ucreatemedia.com . And he approaches me with a script, working title "Gettysburg Continuum", and asks me if I could do a little script doctoring on it. By that he meant that the story arc was essentially in place so please don’t screw with it (i.e. make it about nothing) but could I please buff up the characters and dialogue. (Characters and dialogue go hand-in-hand. Flat characters are not going to have sparkling dialogue. )So I did.

During this same period of time I was in the final edits of a novel that I wrote and self-published called “Pairs” (shameless plug alert) www.pairsthenovel.com  which is available on Amazon and other fine Internet book retailers – including Kobo.In the novel the protagonist, Kayley, has writing aspirations and one of the options which presents itself to her, via her love interest, Adam, is to write a graphic novel.

It occurred to me one evening during a dinner with Donald and Karen, perhaps inspired by a few glasses of wine, that if I could bring something to Gettysburg Continuum then I could likely write my own graphic novel. However, my twist, and there must always be a twist, is that it’s actually Kayley’s graphic novel. She’s getting the writer’s credit. And after those aforementioned glasses of wine that seemed like an absolutely brilliant concept. And further down this amazing path of supercharged creativity I came up with the idea that the graphic novel would actually be part of the broader story arc of which “Pairs” is the beginning. I certainly impressed myself that night. Little did I know....

At this stage I’m not sure if I would qualify my endeavour to get “Red Goddess” to print as a labour of love but there must be something about it that has a hold on me...but it's not reason

This blog is a journal of birthing the “Red Goddess”.

No comments:

Post a Comment